Saturday, July 16, 2011

Maggie's Memos: I'm an Official Avenger's Fan!! :)

Okay, just for starters, don't even ASK me about the whole Hathaway sisters upheaval thing.  I'm not even going there.  You'd think Mama could figure these things out AHEAD OF TIME.  I mean, how many families has she turned upside down so far?  How crazy can things get?  Doesn't she care about how this affects us?

But...I wasn't going to go there.  Moving along to the purpose of this post...since I'd rather not discuss the brutality of our dictator.  Ahem.  Sorry, just had to get that off of my chest.

So as most of you know, Rachel is really into Marvel superheros, especially Thor.  She's really excited about the new Captain America movie coming out on the 22nd, and she's already been talking about the Avengers movie that will be coming out some time next year.  So I'm sure that you can imagine how excited she was when Mama told her there was an animated Avengers miniseries on instant play on Netflix.   

Mama said she could watch it as long as she waited until the girls were either down for quiet time or in bed.  I guess it's too scary for them.  Rachel was so excited to see it she could hardly wait.  Yesterday, when Mama finally put her girls down for quiet time, Rachel asked if I wanted to watch it with her. 

I've never really been a huge Marvel fan myself, but that's basically because I haven't really seen much Marvel stuff.  And I figured it would be way more exciting than those tedious period dramas that everyone else in the house seems to adore.  Seriously, if I have to sit through another Jane Austen movie, I'm going to scream.

We asked around to see if anyone else wanted to join us, but didn't get any takers.  Of course, if we were going to watch some lame movie like "The Young Victoria" or "Emma", everyone would have been all excited.  [Look, don't get all offended if you like period dramas, okay?  Just go talk to Tess or Emma about it, not me...unless you enjoy sarcastic comments about your Mr. Darcys and whoever else.]

We decided to watch on the desktop computer this time.  For one thing, it has a much better picture than Mama and Papa's ancient TV.  For another thing, we could sit closer and have a better view.

 It didn't take us long to find the one Mama was talking about.  It was called:  "The Avengers:  Earth's Mightiest Heroes". 
(By the way, please excuse the mess.  Mama's computer desk has a severe case of "flat surface syndrome"...you know, if it's a flat surface, it's covered with stuff?) 

By the end of the first episode, I was hooked.  It was so awesome!  I mean, sure the animation wasn't perfect.  Some of the fights had kind of hilarious hesitations in them.  But the animation had such great shading and the acting was so superb, it didn't really feel like a cheesy Saturday morning cartoon.  Plus the story was pretty cool, too.  I love how Hulk kept calling Thor "Goldilocks", and how they'd all play off of each other.

I'm kind of glad Tess decided not to come.  I don't think she would have enjoyed it so much.  She's not really into creepy super villains or tons of fighting or rocky theme songs.  See, I think that's where Jane Austen has it all wrong.  If someone had Mr. Darcy dressed in a cool super suit and fighting bad guys like a real man, I might actually be interested!  (Hoo boy...Tess is NOT going to be happy when she reads this.  Oh well, she'll get over it.)  >:}

Anyway, I love how none of the super heroes are perfect, but when they work together as a team, they can conquer all the odds, in spite of their imperfections. 

 I think my favorite Avenger is Iron Man.  He has my kind of humor. :) 

Rachel, of course, likes Thor the best.  Hmm, I guess he's probably the most like Mr. Darcy.  He sure talks like him.  But he has hair like Legolas. And I'm not too sure about the whole winged helmet thing...it looks a little dopey.

Once we'd watched a few episodes, we got tired of standing.  Thankfully, Mama had an empty box lying around that was light enough for us to carry.  We moved it over on top of the chair and got comfortable.


We had to stop watching when the girls got up, but as soon as Mama put them down for bed, we started again.  It was quite the movie marathon!!  We didn't finish until early this morning.  Good thing we're dolls and can sleep during the day when we need to! :)  Of course, we were NOT happy when the last episode ended with a total cliffhanger!!  We checked Netflix and then Google and found out that the next season isn't going to start until sometime this coming October!!!  Arrrggghhh!!  I don't know if I can wait that long!

So, all that to say, I am officially an Avengers fan!!!! :D  I'm just as excited for Captain America to come out as Rachel is now.  I can't believe we have to wait until next year to see the Avengers movie!!! I don't know how I'll ever be able to wait that long. 

Rachel and I are trying to figure out how we can persuade Mama to take us to the movies at the end of the week to see Captain America.  I don't know if it will work.  Mama never goes to a movie until she's read the review on Pluggedin.com first (to make sure it's appropriate).  Plus, she's never actually managed to take any of us to a theater yet.  I think she might be a little embarrassed to try it.  I don't know why she'd be embarrassed to take a doll to a theater.  I mean, she paraded me all around Eureka, so why not in a movie theater?  Then, there's the fact that she will just have finished doing Vacation Bible School at the church, so she'll be completely wiped out.  And of course, there's the whole financial issue.  Mama explained a while ago that there won't be as many goodies for a while until she and Papa can get some things paid off.  Whoop-de-do.  I guess we'll just have to see what happens. 

In the mean time, I've decided I want to get an Iron Man action figure to go with Rachel's Thor action figure.  Oh, and Rachel totally wants these, too:


Aren't they awesome?  They're Marvel Squinkies!!!  You can get them online at Squinkies.com or in the toy section at Target or Walmart.  I'm hoping that if Rachel ends up getting them, she'll let me have Iron Man.  I think there are actually more that come in the set than what is pictured.

Hailey wants the new Hello Kitty Squinkies, but I'm not including that picture here.  Somehow, Hello Kitty and Marvel superheroes just should not be in the same post together. 

Well, I guess that's about it for now.  I'm so glad that I finally found a good movie buddy!  I may never have to subject myself to the torture of a Regency film again! :D 


So what about you guys?  Are any of you planning on seeing Captain America when it comes out?   

     

3 comments:

Sabine Aurore Bouchard said...

Salut girls,
I'm not one for superhero or regency movies, but it looks like you girls had fun watching a few episodes.
I definitely prefer comedies...French comedies. The only truly humorous American comedy that I saw and liked was Bridesmaids. Lilly was dying to see Bad Teacher, so she dragged me along. It definitely could have been funnier...it's sad when the funniest line involves a mandatory teachers' meeting. ;)
Bises,
Sabine
PS- Malorie likes Regency novels, particularly by the Brontës. Her favorite is Jane Eyre.

Blakeney Green said...

We've never watched The Avengers, alas.

It sounds like something Kaya, Bree, and probably Clare would like, though.

We should give it a try. :-)

Love,
The Green Girls

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Thanks for commenting, girls. :)

Hi Sabine! Hmm, it sounds like Tess and Malorie would probably have fun together, discussing their Regency faves. Gag. Tess enjoys Jane Eyre, but she's definitely more of a Jane Austen fan. I've never watched any French comedies, and I'm sure Mama wouldn't let us watch Bad Teacher or Bridesmaids (she's very strict on movies). I like comedy myself, but I much prefer movies with lots of action and excitement! :)

Hey, Green Girls. :) You should totally try the Avengers...then I'll have someone else that will be in on my current obsession. ;)

Good to hear from all of you!

Maggie