Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Emma's Editorials: Confirmation

Well, it's official.  Piper is our cousin, not our sister.  Mama broke the news to us two nights ago.

It's funny.  I'm not nearly as upset about it as I thought I'd be.  I mean, it's like Mama originally said.  Nothing has changed, really.  She'll still be just like a sister to us.  It's just a change in title.  Piper is so special to us, and she'll stay that way, no matter how she's related to the two of us.

I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while.  Things have been pretty crazy, and the last couple of days we've just spent adjusting...not that anything is really all that different, but...you know.

Piper is suddenly anxious to spend some time with Ruthie.  Of course, she hasn't really talked about it, but Charlie and I are starting to be able to read her better. :)  I can understand where she's coming from.  I think there's an inexplicable desire in all of us to know our family. 

Speaking of which, when Mama told us about Piper, I asked if she'd found out anything more about our sister.  She had.

"I don't know a whole lot," she confessed, "but I can tell you what I do know.  Her name is Hayden Brooke, and she's 12 years old...the same age as Piper.  I know she likes singing and she likes horses, but that's about it at this point.  I might be able to find out more as time goes by."

"Do you know what she looks like?" Charlie asked curiously. 

"As a matter of fact, I do.  I can show you a picture of her on the computer."

We trudged out to the trusty old desktop.  Here's the picture that Mama shared with us:


We all stared quietly at the picture for a while.

"Wow," Piper said softly, surprising us by actually speaking up for once.  "She looks a lot more like you than I ever did."

"Don't worry," I assured her.  "You're not being replaced."

She gave me a grateful smile.

"She's like a combination of Emma and me," Charlie said thoughtfully.  "My eyes and freckles, Emma's curls and hair color."

"I think her hair's lighter than mine," I pointed out.

"You know what I mean," Charlie said, rolling her eyes.

"Now girls," Mama interjected.  She didn't like us arguing.  Probably because she dealt with 3 arguing real girls all day long! :}  Not that this was really a full-blown argument or anything.

I decided it would be a good time to change the subject.  "So, when is she coming?"

"I don't exactly know," Mama said hesitantly.

We all looked at her.

"I can't exactly...um...afford her right now, so it will depend on how my birthday and Christmas go.  I'm going to ask for American Girl gift cards."

I hid a smile and exchanged a glance with Piper and Charlie.  Thankfully, we were much more tolerant than Maggie of Mama's persistent cluelessness when it came to doll etiquette.  Everyone knew it was very rude to discuss doll purchase and pricing...everyone but Mama, that is.  I supposed we really should tell her, but I didn't have the heart.

It did make sense, though.  Mama hadn't been bringing home nearly as many goodies recently.  I think she and Papa were trying to focus on paying for their real girls' school...something called "tooition"...or something like that.  I'd overheard them talking about it, and Mama had looked a bit stressed.  It sure is nice being a doll and not having to worry about such things!

"Hey!" Charlie piped up brightly.  "Do you think we could write her or email her or something?"

"Possibly," Mama said slowly.  "I don't have an address for her yet, email or regular.  I'll see what I can do and get back to you on that, okay?  For now, just try not to worry about it too much and take things as they come."

We all nodded in response and began the trek back to our room.

"I hope Mama finds a way to contact her," Charlie said as we walked.  "I think it would be great to get to know her a little bit before she came.  Maybe that would make things easier on all of us when she got here."

I saw Charlie's point.  Maybe we'd all feel more like family if we felt like long-lost friends when she arrived.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.  It's a lot to think about! :} 

8 comments:

Blakeney Green said...

Hey, Kaya here. :-)

*hugs*

Family stuff is complicated, for sure. I think you girls will always be one big family, though, no matter how you're related.

Sorry your sister can't come home yet. I have a sister who doesn't live with me, either (different reasons, it's complicated, I'll fill you in sometime if you're curious) and I miss her a lot. My adoptive sister Evelyn has two biological sisters that live in different homes, too.

Hopefully it'll work out for her to live with you before too much longer!

Love,
Kaya from The Green Girls

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Thanks, Kaya. It's nice having such supportive friends through all of this...especially friends who understand what we're going through. :) *Hugs* back. :D

Emma

Claire said...

It seems like quite a bit of craziness! I've never had family switched around or anything, but I'm sure it's very eventful.

I'm so sorry to hear that Hayden can't come home yet. Claire recently told us that we might get a new sister -a #41, like you!- but she probably can't afford her until about Christmas. :( So we understand what you're going through.

*hugs* At least Piper is still related to you! Sorry for such a long comment. ;)

Mia

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Hi Mia! Thanks for commenting and for being so sympathetic. :)

That's so exciting that you may be getting my look-alike! :D I can't wait to hear more about her.

It's hard being patient, but I know it will be worth it when we finally get to meet Hayden.

And yes, we're all very thankful that Piper is still our relation. She'll still be just like a sister anyway. :)

As far as the long comment, don't worry about it. I'm the queen of long comments myself! ;)

Talk to you later!

Emma

Anonymous said...

I know where you are coming from. A few days ago I was talking to my mama and she told me my twin wasn't even my sister.
Well Hugs and love and good wishes to the three of you!
Kanani

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Oh, Kanani, I'm so sorry! What a shock! I wish our humans could figure these things out beforehand sometimes!

Thanks for commenting, and hang in there! :)

Emma

Anonymous said...

It is sooooo hard to have your world turned upside down .. we get that around here a lot .. our sister Kit .. we found out was not really part of our family either so she left to be with her real family and Taryn came to live with us ..

we are adopted sisters mostly .. some of us have real siblings that live here too .. so we know how you guys feel about family changing all the time .. lol

Marsali

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Hi Marsali! Good to hear from you again. Thanks for commenting. It helps knowing we're not the only ones that go through it. :)

Emma