Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Maggie's Memos: Hatching Dragon Eggs

Since I knew all of our readers couldn't survive another week without hearing from me (hee hee), I thought I'd do a post about my latest goodies from Mama:  dragon eggs from "How to Train Your Dragon" (my favorite movie!).

A new Goodwill thrift store just opened in town, so Mama, Grandmama, and Mimi have been having a blast finding all sorts of treasures.  One of the things Mama found were these surprise dragon eggs.

Pretty awesome, huh?  I couldn't wait to see which dragons were inside!  Mama got one of these for 99 cents and the other one for 49 cents (because it was missing some of the packaging).

The back of the package shows the 14 different dragons you can get.  The three dragons on the top are the most rare, the 6 below are rare, and the 6 bottom dragons are the most common. 

The package also gives instructions on how to get the egg open.  Not only that, but it demonstrates how the dragons have interchangeable heads, tails, legs, and wings!

As the package states, you are supposed to move the...three plastic wraps?  Huh.  I removed one...maybe that's why I had problems!  But more on that later!

The instructions say to fill a bowl with warm water.  Thankfully, Mama was on hand to help me.  I don't think I could have gotten this up to the table by myself! :}

Next, you're supposed to submerge the egg in water and watch it foam and fizz and eventually dissolve.  At least, that's what it's supposed to do.  This is pretty much what my egg did the entire time!

Getting impatient, I finally decided to tear the egg just a little bit.  Then I ended up with a few little bubbles, at least.

After another little rip (I'm impatient, okay?), it started bubbling even more!

Finally, the water looked like this...and dragon parts were floating everywhere!  It was actually a little gross looking.  I should have let Tess see! ;)

When the water quit fizzing, I fished all of the parts out of the water...

...dried them off...

...and put them together.  Doesn't he look fierce? :)

I was super excited to find out that I had an ULTRA RARE dragon!!

See?  He's the third one on the top row.

Now it was time to try the other egg.

This one was a complete dud.  It absolutely refused to fizz at all, even with Mama's help.  I am wondering about that "3 layers of plastic wrap" thing, though.  I don't remember taking off that many layers.  Maybe it would have worked better if I'd gotten all of the layers off! :}

Anyway, since I didn't notice the instructions until typing this post, I resigned myself to ripping the egg open with my bare hands.

This was the result.

I dried him off and put him together.  On both dragons, the wings were super hard to get on!

After checking my guide, I discovered that I had the second guy on the second row of the RARE dragons.  Not too shabby for a thrift store find, eh?  I was totally expecting two common ones!

So, here they are in all their glory.  I probably won't interchange their parts too much, especially their wings.  It's too much work!  But they're still pretty cool.  I think they'll look great next to my Hiccup action figure. :)  I can already tell that Tess won't be too impressed, though. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How totally kewl Maggie .. i love dragons and would love to find some of those eggs, it is great that you ended up with two rare ones too, how kewl is that.

Jayd

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Thanks, Jayd. :) I don't know if you have any Goodwills in your area, or if they have the same stock from store to store, but it might be worth checking out. :)

Maggie

Blakeney Green said...

Wow, those are super cool! It's so fun to have a surprise about which dragon is inside the egg.

I love the pictures. Thanks for sharing your dragon adventures!

Love,
Bree

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

No problem, Bree. Glad you enjoyed it too! ;)

Maggie

Emma Kate said...

I hope you all had a great Easter yesterday! :)

~Emma

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

We did. It was a pretty quiet Easter at home, though. We fixed ourselves breakfast and listened to an Easter message on the radio. Mama and her family were at church in the morning and then spent most of the afternoon at Papa's family's house. We used to be invited to things like that, but apparently Mama only had time for her real family yesterday, not her vinyl one. No big deal. She forgot my birthday, too (April 3rd). I'm still waiting for her to notice and freak out. ;)

Maggie