Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Emma's Editorials: Bollywood Night at Mimi's! :D

As any of you who read Mama's blog know, last Friday night there was a Bollywood party at Mimi's.  When I heard about it, I asked Mama if I could go too...and she said yes!!  I was sooo excited!  I haven't had a chance to see a Bollywood movie in a while, and Mama said we'd be eating East Indian food too.  Plus, I'd get to visit with Piper.  I couldn't wait!! :D

So here I am in Mimi's kitchen, waiting for Mama's friend to arrive.  Mama and Mimi wore salwar kameezes (at least, I think that's what they're called!) that they found at Goodwill.  I was a little bit disappointed that I didn't have one to wear myself.

To cheer me up, Mama did my hair in a braid and found this really pretty silver barrette to fasten at the top.  It looks a little bit Bollywood-ish, don't you think? ;)

I was so happy to see Piper!  I haven't seen her since Christmas, so it was great to catch up.  

Mimi set up a couple of pillows on the fireplace mantle so that we would be comfortable.  You probably remember that Piper is a Bollywood fan too.  We both couldn't wait to watch a movie or two! :)

We started with "Dil Bole Hadippa", which stars Shahid Kapoor (Piper's favorite Bollywood actor).  Rani Mukerji looked lovely in this!  (Just to let all of you know, this isn't really one we can recommend...Mimi had to fast forward several parts for us.  Too bad, because it's really got some cute parts.)

After the first movie, we took a break and got dinner from Mimi's favorite Indian restaurant.  Piper's been there before too.  I was a little bit nervous about trying food that I wasn't familiar with (I've never tried food from another country before!), but Piper assured me that it was delicious!

I had rice, chicken tikka masala, and naan (which was basically like a really yummy tortilla with garlic and spices).

There were lots of other things to choose from (Piper kept telling me how good the raita and aloo gobi were), but I decided to play it safe my first time. ;)

We finished off with an AMAZING dessert called gulab janum.  It was basically like a doughnut hole dipped in a sweet sauce.  Yum!!!

Here's a closer look!

After dinner, we watched "Rab Ne Bana di Jodi", which stars Shahrukh Khan (eep!!).  I think it's pretty cool that both Piper and I got to watch our favorite actors in one night. :)  (Oh, Mama said that I could remind all of you about her review of "Rab Ne Bana di Jodi" in her Bollywood Reviews Post HERE.  There are few things in it that are not recommendable, but overall it's a good story.  Of course, "Veer-Zaara" will always be the best Shahrukh movie out there.  At least, that's what I think! ;)  

It was pretty late when we got done with the movies (most Bollywood movies are 3 hours long!), so when "Rab Ne Bana di Jodi" was done, it was time to go home again.  I really enjoyed myself, though.  I hope we have another Bollywood night soon! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is Bollywood???
And,yes,I'm serious..

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

Hi Anonymous. Bollywood movies are movies made in India, often filmed in the Hindi language with English subtitles. Most of them are musicals and include choreographed song and dance numbers. Some of them can be a bit sensual, so you have to be careful. If you click the link to Mama's Bollywood Reviews post that's in my post, you'll get a better idea of what they are. :) Hope this helps! :)

Emma