Friday, December 31, 2010

Breaking News with Maggie: Happy New Year and an Email from Katie

Happy 2011!!  Is everyone ready for the new year to begin?  I am!  Who knows what exciting things this year may hold for us?  Are any of you staying up until midnight to bring in the New Year?  Tess, Emma and I get to stay up, but the younger girls are already getting ready for bed.  Mama said the three of us could stay up late if we promised to behave ourselves and be quiet.  It's so cool being the oldest!

Right now, the three of us are eating popcorn and trying to decide what movie to watch...whenever Papa decides to stop playing the Wii, that is.  That's why I'm typing this now...we have a bit of time to wait before he's done.  He got the Wii for Christmas, so he loves playing whenever he gets a chance.  Of course, I shouldn't be complaining about it.  Since I'm stuck with the 2 Austen nuts, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I won't be choosing the movie tonight.  Sigh.

Oh, I almost forgot!!  The whole reason I did this post (besides wishing everyone a Happy New Year) was to let everyone know that we heard from Katie!! Well, that is, Mama's girls heard from Katie.  Tess was a little miffed that Katie emailed them and not her, but I think she's gotten over it.  Especially since it sounds like Katie should be coming home soon! :)  Here's a copy of the email (sent on Wednesday):


    Hi Girls! Hope you are all doing well- Since it's been a little while since I've written, thought I would say hi. How was your Christmas? I've so been enjoying myself here- had a wonderful Christmas. It is quite strange here though- things are so different than home. The leaves just finally turned colors at the beginning of December-I was so impatient, I thought they never would. It is so warm here too. Some days we even wear short-sleeved shirts- in the winter! But the last week or so has been different. We have had SO much rain, very unusual for here. I don't mind though, it makes it feel like home. Because it's been colder, we've been enjoying the warmth inside, reading by the Christmas tree, and sipping hot chocolate while watching it rain outside. Because it has been raining so much we haven't been out and about too much lately.
   But, I am so very excited to tell you of a special place I will be going in a few days. On Saturday morning, if you turn on the TV there will be a HUGE parade called the Rose Parade. All the floats are made out of flowers or plants- it's amazing! There will be marching bands playing music, famous people and lots more. But the most exciting thing is... that I GET TO GO!!!  There will be lots of people- millions actually, but I'm so excited. It will definitely be a once in a lifetime experience- so watch for me on Sat- you might see me along the parade route. :-) Well, probably not, but I'll be sure to take pictures and tell you all about it afterwards.
   Also, I will most likely be coming home the middle of January. Not that I don't like it here, or my friends are making me leave, but I do miss you all so much and have so much to tell you of my adventures here! :-)
   Take care- I'll write again next week!
        Love, Katie
 
Tess just about started jumping up and down when she heard that Katie was coming home in the middle of January.  She's missed her so much...like we all have!  It will be great to see her and hear all about her travels. 
 
Well, gotta go for now.  It sounds like Tess and Emma are deciding between the long version of "Emma" (please don't ask me which actresses are in it...I really don't know) and the really long "Pride and Prejudice".  Oh joy.  I was longing to spend four hours watching a period film with two fanatics.  Talk to you all later...if I survive, that is. :)
 
Maggie
 
P.S.  Do you like our new header and footer?  We went on Picnik.com again! :)  Tess had this super romantic header on here with her, Lizzy Bennet and Mr. Darcy.  Thankfully, it turned out too blurry for her taste.  I mean, this blog is called "Jane Austen and Unicorns", and it's by Tess and Maggie.  That header was just a little too one-sided, don't you think?  Okay, I'm done now.  Talk to you next time...after my torturous movie session.  Ooh, I wonder if Papa has any ice cream stashed in the freezer? : D
 
One of the pics from our photo shoot.  This is my "coy" look.  :)

No comments: